[od-discuss] Please review: 'Datenlizenz Deutschland' for OD compliance.

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Mon Mar 18 18:01:48 UTC 2013

Thanks for driving this forward Daniel!

I made some substantial edits, reflecting my opinion that the problem
is clarity, but not that any of the likely readings make it non-Open.

I also elided some points that might be re best practices, but IMO it
isn't entirely clear what the best practice in each case is, and they
don't have any bearing on conformance. Coped below with some of
Daniel's text and my comments. I think if we keep these in any form
they should be in a postscript/addendum and clearly demarcated as not
bearing on conformance:

1. it doesn't explicitly make sure how to reference the actual data
holder. (Meaning how to "mention the source"? I'm not sure this is a
problem. Overspecification can be more of a problem than
underpecification of attribution.)
2. it doesn't explicitly make sure how to reference the license text
itself. (This is a minor point, but could be more explicit, maybe
provide canonical URI for refernecing license? This has nothing to do
with being conformant or not.)
3. it doesn't explicitly make sure that it will be compatible with all
further versions of the license. (Why should it? It has no copyleft
aspect.) << this means that content that is licensed withv1.0 can
easily be upgrated to v1.1 ... Yes I know there's a case for such, but
it is an edge case unsupported by all(?) permissive licenses to date;
I don't know why they should.

Tell me I'm wrong!
Mike