[od-discuss] City of Calgary Open Data License Approval Request

Simbirski, Walter Walter.Simbirski at calgary.ca
Wed Mar 20 22:52:37 UTC 2013

Hi Herb - that's good advice. Thanks for being patient and I would really like to see Calgary end up with a conformant license as well.

If we take a look at the OD then this is what I see:

1.       Access - Works are available for free by downloading them.

2.       Redistribution - There is no restriction on redistribution.

3.       Reuse - No restriction on modification or derivative works or what terms are to applied.

4.       Absence of Technological Restriction - Works are provided in a number of formats such as CSV, KML, etc. Works are zipped but can be unzipped using readily available public domain tools.

5.       Attribution - Attribution is optional. We reserve the right to request the user remove attribution of the work if it is found not to be in the best public interest.

6.       Integrity - no restriction.

7.       No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups - no restriction.

8.       No discrimination Against Fields of Endeavour - Works may be used for any lawful purpose.

9.       Distribution of License - no restriction.

10.   License Must Not Be Specific to a Package - No issue.

11.   License Must Not Restrict the Distribution of Other Works - No restriction.

The potentially contentious issues with respect to the OD are:

5.  Reserving the right to request a user remove attribution if use of the Work is not in public interest. Is there consensus that this is an issue with respect to the OD? The OD states, " If this condition is imposed it must not be onerous." Does reserving the right to ask a user to remove attribution under certain conditions make the City of Calgary's licence onerous?

8. Works may not be used for unlawful purposes. I realize that jurisdiction is an issue but is there consensus that this is an issue with respect to the OD? As an enforcement tool this item really has no teeth and the City has no intention of acting as a policing agency. If, for example, it is brought to our attention that someone in an another country is using the Work in an unlawful fashion and we ask them to stop using the Work do we really expect them to desist? If they are already breaking the law in their own jurisdiction are they likely to care about a request from someone in another country to desist? Not likely, but we can at least try. The issue from the City's view is that we want to ensure that we are not viewed as endorsing particular uses of the Work.

In addition:

-          Acceptance of Other Issues - While this isn't an issue given the contents of our Open Data Catalogue it could conflict with the OD and I will see that this is internally reviewed.

You have identified other issues but I don't see that they conflict with the OD. Given that we do have at least one issue (Acceptance of Other Issues) I will ask for internal review of these other issues as well.

Is there a consensus on the issues that are contrary to the OD? I would like have a clear consensus within this group before beginning an internal review at this end.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Walter