[od-discuss] Provincial and Game OGLs; Open Definition 2.0

Kent Mewhort kent at openissues.ca
Tue Nov 12 07:33:48 UTC 2013

I should clarify that when I originally brought up templating, I was
thinking along the lines of the OSI's templating of the BSD license (see
http://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause).  The template works by
dropping in the licensor's name, and not much else.  I can imagine that
changing a choice of law/forum clause, and perhaps one or two other
minor tweaks along these lines, would also work with the license still
being essentially the same and interoperable with other licenses from
the same template.

However, this is not what's happened so far with the OGL-C license.
Even with the change of a few clauses, the BC OGL, for example, is a
/very /different creature than the OGL-C.  For the templating approach
to work, I think the policy of using the template would need to leave
little leeway to change the template or add additional clauses.
Otherwise, you end up with entirely different licenses, not different
instances of the same license.

Kent

<http://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause>On 13-11-12 12:11 AM, Luis