[od-discuss] v2 - use

Herb Lainchbury herb.lainchbury at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:09:47 UTC 2014

In my previous note:

https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2014-March/000807.html

I mentioned that I think there is some redundancy in the v2 conditions,
which I would consider eliminating if it makes sense.

Specifically, condition 1.1.1 states:

1.1.1 Use
The license must allow the use of the licensed work for any purpose.

and condition 1.1.6 states:

1.1.6 Impartiality
The license must treat all persons or groups of persons equally.

while condition 1.1.8 states:

1.1.8 Application to Any Purpose
The license must allow use, redistribution, modification and compilation,
by any person or group of persons, for any purpose. These rights must apply
independently of other legal agreements, without any obligation to agree to
additional terms.

It seems to me that the first line of 1.1.8 is simply a combination of
1.1.1 and 1.1.6.  I like having them as separate items rather than a
combination as it makes it easier to test a license for conformance and
easier to be specific on what's wrong in the case of non-conformance.

I believe the second line of 1.1.8 is new.

Does this seem correct to others?  Is the first line in fact redundant?  Is
the second new?

If so, I recommend we remove 1.1.8 and move the new line to the "ideas"
document for later consideration.

Thoughts?

--
Herb