[od-discuss] v2 - use

Herb Lainchbury herb.lainchbury at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 20:50:49 UTC 2014

We could turn the former "fields of endeavour" text into a comment to make
it clearer:

1.1.1 Use
The license must allow the use of the licensed work.

1.1.6 Impartiality
The license must treat all persons or groups of persons equally.

1.1.8 Application to Any Purpose
The license must allow use, redistribution, modification and compilation,
by any person or group of persons, for any purpose.

Comment:
The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the work in a
specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the work from
being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

Comment: The major intention of this clause is to prohibit license traps
that prevent open material from being used commercially. We want commercial
users to join our community, not feel excluded from it.

Comment: this is adapted from item 6 of the OSD.

----

"I also wonder re-reading now whether we need something about charging in
the license section"

I think it does make sense to add another condition in the license section
about charging.

Here is my first attempt.  note: It doesn't allow for "reasonable
reproduction costs" as 1.x does.  I can't think of a reason to leave that
door open, nor can I think of an current example of open data were the
publisher charges.  Would be happy to hear about examples that mean that
this allowance should be left in.

1.1.x Gratis
The license must not impose any fee arrangements, compensation or monetary
remuneration as part of it's conditions.

Herb

--
Herb Lainchbury
Dynamic Solutions Inc.