[od-discuss] A harmonised Open Format definition

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Apr 22 15:32:35 UTC 2015

I think this is a useful but difficult area, and it would be great if we
could make the format section of the OD more robust as a result.

Some years ago I worked on a rating system to rate the "useability" of open
data.  We called it the ODUI (Open Data Usability Index).  It was somewhat
crude, but we found it useful when explaining to publishers, why some
published material was more useable than other material.  The result of
using this index was that a dataset would end up with a certain number of
stars, from 1 to 5.
As part of this exercise we decided that because formats themselves can be
used suboptimally (as in the given examples in this thread), describing
open formats was not enough.  To get at what we wanted we created a
criteria group called "readability" and broke it down into four
sub-criteria.  They are:

1. Digital : The data is available electronically (as opposed to just
hard-copy print-outs)

2. Parse-able: The data can be parsed by a standard parser such as XML,
JSON, CSV

3. Open Format:
          YES = XML, JSON, CSV, SHP, SQL99, XHTML, PNG, SVG
          NO = PDF, Word, XLS, FLASH, PSD

4. Structured: The file is composed of regular structures such as rows and
columns, or objects, such that the various attributes represented by the
data are easily accessible with simple reusable program.
(e.g. CSV files with rows and columns with the first row representing the
column names)

It's the last one, "Structured" that speaks to using the format in a useful
way.

Breaking the idea of formats into these separate criteria proved useful to
help get at what we wanted from publishers.

Here is the original document: http://goo.gl/xGpLIs

Herb