[od-discuss] Fwd: Conformance - Open Government License -?Surrey 1.0

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Fri Mar 6 17:34:18 UTC 2015

I am not sure that I see a problem with the licence itself (as opposed to what Paul was told). As far as I can see that it operates as a straightforward Attribution licence and not as a Share-Alike. If one creates a derivative work then there needs to be an attribution statement(s) for that information which was provided under the OGL-Surrey. But it does not say that other content needs to be licensed in the same way, and it explicitly envisages (subsection 2 of “You must”) that the derivate work might contain information from multiple providers with multiple attribution requirements and offers an easement on the attribution requirement in those circumstances.

As far as I can see the model is that a subsequent downstream re-user get their rights for the Surrey information not from the intermediate developer but directly from Surrey themselves to the full extent of the original licence: that’s the purpose of having to provide a link back to OGL-Surrey itself in any published re-use.  That’s the same as the model for CC-BY 4.0 and for UK-OGL.

The problem seems to be in what Paul was told – that the whole of the new work would need to be licensed under OGL-Surrey. As I understand it the OGL-Surrey licence would actually allow Paul to licence the *whole* of his new work, *including* the Surrey content, under (almost) *any* terms he wished, as long as he gave the required attribution for the Surrey content and a link to the Surrey licence for that content. Users of Paul’s work could then get the Surrey content themselves and have full OGL-Surrey rights to it directly (so satisfying OD 2.0 clause 2.1.7 and the second sentence of OD 2.0 clause 2.1.4). CC-BY 4.0 would operate in the same way. That would also be consistent with the second part of OD 2.0 clause 2.1.3 which requires the licence to *allow* the redistribution of *derivative works* on no less restrictive terms - it does not *require* these terms.

Regards

Andrew