[od-discuss] Fwd: Conformance - Open Government License - Surrey 1.0

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Sat Mar 7 23:10:41 UTC 2015

I have to agree with Andrew on this.

To me OGL-Surrey is a straight forward Attribution license like the
OGL-Canada and the OGL-UK that it is based on.

The license does not state anywhere at all that it is a share-alike license.

The advice that Paul was given is not reflected in the license as far as I
can tell.  I see no reason to question the license because someone at the
City may be interpreting it this way.  The same could be said about any
license.

Mike said:
"I propose in the comments on OGL Canada we add...

Note several Canadian provinces and municipalities have developed
non-reusable licenses, each with differences from the federal OGL
Canada. Some of these are open, as noted on a [dedicated
page](/licenses/ogl-canada-subnational)."

I agree.  +1

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> On 3/6/2015 3:18 PM, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>
>> I would like Surrey to clarify what they think the license means. If
>> they, the only possible licensor, completely misunderstand the license,
>> it seems the license is effectively as bad as a reusable license which
>> is written so confusingly that all possible licensors completely
>> misunderstand it. We wouldn't ever approve such a license.
>>
>> Separately, assuming we have a miscommunication or misunderstanding soon
>> easily corrected, how do we represent the approved license on
>> http://opendefinition.org/licenses/  ?
>>
> I would like someone from the OD AC to clarify this with Surrey - as then
> the person asking can choose better wording than myself and ask in a more
> official manner.
>
> I should note that a new work it may not be possible to identify what
> parts are from Surrey data - or to do so is a very difficult task. If
> instead of just combining two datasets, you modify the Surrey one,
> dis-entangling the two to say this part is under the Surrey license and
> this other part is my work under CC BY is an extremely difficult problem.

Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions
250.704.6154
http://www.dynamic-solutions.com