[od-discuss] Open Government License - Surrey 2.0

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Mar 18 16:09:53 UTC 2015

"I'm happy to do this if nobody else wishes to. I would need a contact."

It believe we're all in agreement that this is not a conformance issue.

It seems to me that insisting on clarification before a conformance test is
going too far, when we're all in agreement that this is not a conformance
issue.

We haven't asked publishers to provide their interpretation of their own
license before as far as I know.  Doing so would set a new precedent which
I think is beyond the scope of conformance testing.

My preference is to provide helpful feedback to the license publisher
*after* our conformance vote, letting them know about the interpretation
issue.

I think the key here is that Mike is highlighting something that the
definition does not cover.  A licensors interpretation of a license they
are using.  The Definition covers the license itself, and how that license
is applied to a work, but not how a license is interpreted or perceived by
a licensor. I can easily imagine a licensor mis-using any license, even
Creative-Commons for example, and claiming that a consumer needs to pay an
access fee or something even though that's not required by the license.
That doesn't make the license not open, it just means the licensor has
decided to use the license in a way that renders the work not open.

If we're going to introduce a new process where we ask license publishers
for their interpretation of the license they are using then let's discuss
how that should happen, and what we would do with the feedback.

Even if we did ask Surrey for clarification.  What would we do with that
feedback?  Would we judge the license as non-open?  On what basis?  We
don't have a rule for that.

IMHO, it's not appropriate to ask Surrey for clarification before
assessment.  This would be a standard we've never held any other publisher
to.

Having said that, I also don't want to rush the process.  We started this
several months ago.  Surrey was very responsive to us in addressing our
written concerns, and I thought we were ready to move forward.  That may
have been an error in judgement on my part.

So, if we're not ready to vote yet, I am fine with delaying.  Part of the
consequence of vanity licenses is that they cause a lot of waste - for all
parties.

I think going through this process has been useful nonetheless.

Herb