[od-discuss] Open Defintion 2.1 Approved

Herb Lainchbury herb.lainchbury at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:01:12 UTC 2015

Thank you for the votes.

Because we had one dissenting vote, our current process requires approval
from at least 75% of those expressing an opinion in order to pass approval.

There were total of 12 votes with 11 for and 1 against, or 92% voting for
approval, so we have approval for 2.1 to become the new standard for
general use.

Broader announcements will follow.

Many thanks to those who voted.

----

During the vote there was some discussion about this approval process and
whether or not we should have a "release candidate".  My feeling on this is
that yes, we should definitely update our process for the future.  In my
humble opinion, it is not appropriate to change the voting process while we
are voting.  I also felt it would be inappropriate for me to get into a
discussion about it mid-vote.  I have started a thread in the forum here
<https://discuss.okfn.org/t/definition-revisions-approval-process/1030> and
have added a document
<https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/blob/gh-pages/source/open-definition-revision-process-dev.markdown>
to our GitHub repo for documenting the new approval process.

In this case, my call for votes was specific.  It was "to vote to approve
the current v2.1 dev for release and general use" and "approval of this
current final draft to become the new standard".

There were also several requests / contributions for edits to the document
after the voting process had started.  We have accepted changes to fix
typos only (spelling mistakes, formatting, capitalization errors).  Any
other contributions will be gratefully considered for the next release.

--

Herb Lainchbury, Chair
Open Definition Advisory Council