[odc-discuss] ODbL comments in German from Axel Metzger

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Wed Aug 5 14:08:58 UTC 2009

Thank you very much for the translation!

On 3 Aug 2009, at 10:14, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jordan S Hatcher wrote:
>> See below.  I don't read German well enough to read it, so it
>> doesn't do me a whole lot of good,
>
> It would be easier if you were in the catering business. Schnitzel
> and Sauerkraut are so much easier to grasp than Einräumung eines
> zeitlich unbefristeten, weltweit gültigen Nutzungsrechts!
>
> I'll quickly go over the bits I find interesting:
>
>>> Hintergrund:
>>>
>>> Eine wesentliche Einschränkung der Freiheiten der Nutzer findet
>>> sich gleich in der Präambel sowie in Ziffer 2.4. Die ODbL regelt
>>> nur die Schutzrechte an der entsprechend lizenzierten Datenbank,
>>> nicht aber die gegebenenfalls bestehenden Rechte an den Inhalten.
>>> Handelt es sich hierbei um urheberrechtlich, datenschutzrechtlich
>>> oder auf sonstige Weise geschützte Inhalte, kann es sein, dass der
>>> Erwerber einer Kopie der Datenbank diese letztlich doch nicht
>>> entsprechend den Bestimmungen der ODbL nutzen kann, weil ihm die
>>> Rechte an den betreffenden Inhalten fehlen. Ob die
>>> lizenzrechtliche Spaltung von Datenbankrechten und Inhalten der
>>> Weisheit letzter Schluss ist, mag man bezweifeln. Das Open Data
>>> Commons Projekt sollte in Betracht ziehen, eine weitere Version
>>> der Lizenz aufzulegen, welche die parallele Lizenzierung von
>>> Datenbank und Inhalten gestattet.
>
> This paragraph criticises the duality of database license and
> content license and says that you might end up having an ODbL
> licensed database which is useless to you since the content is under
> a prohibitive license. It suggests that there should be a future
> version of the license that covers the database AND contents.

This is one we wrestled with in the drafting and settled on this
approach so that the ODbL can be applied to a database with mixed
licensed materials.  The problem with trying to have it all (db +
contents)  in one license, is that the licensor must have rights to
the entire thing. This precludes databases where you have content from
more than one license (GFDL, CC-BY-SA, etc), so the result was the
ODbL / DbCL combo.

This choice is alleviated by (eventually) having a license chooser
that does both automatically (which would be cool to implement) or as
now, where we explain it up on the site.

>>> Die genauen Grenzen der „Share alike“-Verpflichtung sind so wenig
>>> bestimmt wie in den meisten Lizenzen dieses Typs, soll doch die
>>> Einfügung der Datenbank in eine „collective database“ keine
>>> entsprechende Pflicht nach sich ziehen. Wann die Datenbank im
>>> Rahmen einer solchen „collective database“ dennoch unabhängig
>>> bleibt, ist nicht näher definiert.
>
> This says that the exact extent of the share alike obligation are
> not very well defined (but neither are they in most other common
> share alike licenses), and is a slight criticism of it being unclear
> when exactly a database remains independent as part of a collective
> database (thus not triggering share alike).

I'd agree with you Frederik in that they are unclear in most licenses
anyway, so it's a more of a problem with SA public licenses generally.

>>> Ziffern 7 und 8 enthalten die üblichen Ausschlüsse der
>>> Gewährleistung und Haftung. Bei Anwendung deutschen Rechts dürften
>>> diese kaum Chancen auf eine gerichtliche Durchsetzung haben.
>
> "Paragraphs 7 and 8 contain the usual disclaimers about warranties
> and liability. They are unlikely to hold in court if German law is
> applied."

Can't do anything about that!

>>> Von Interesse ist schließlich die Rechtswahlklausel in Ziffer
>>> 10.4., welche das Recht des Staates für anwendbar erklärt, in dem
>>> die Lizenzbestimmungen durchgesetzt werden sollen. Die Klausel
>>> bietet verschiedene Interpretationsmöglichkeiten und verfehlt
>>> damit das Ziel, durch die vertragliche Wahl des anwendbaren Rechts
>>> Rechtssicherheit herzustellen.
>
> "The choice of law clause in 10.4 is interesting [...] It leaves
> room for interpretation and thus misses the goal of creating legal
> certainty by choosing the applicable law in the contract."

Well, it is the same as CC unported, so the criticism isn't ours alone.

>>> Denkbar ist zum einen, dass mit der Rechtswahl auf das Recht des
>>> Gerichtsstaats des Erkenntnisverfahrens abgestellt werden soll.
>>> Eine andere mögliche Lesart ist die Wahl des Rechts des
>>> Vollstreckungsstaates, in dem die Entscheidung aus dem
>>> Erkenntnisverfahren vollstreckt werden soll. Ein dritte mögliche
>>> Interpretation wäre schließlich, dass das Land der in Frage
>>> stehenden Urheber- und Datenbankherstellerrechte auch auf die
>>> vertragsrechtlichen Fragen angewendet werden soll. Dann würde sich
>>> „enforcement“ auf die betreffenden geistigen Eigentumsrechte
>>> beziehen. Die Autoren der ODbL sollten in der nächsten Version der
>>> Lizenz hier unbedingt nachbessern.
>
> I cannot translate this literally but this lists three possible
> interpretations of the choice of law clause, one being the law of
> the country where the "fact finding" is being done, one being the
> law of the country where the case is brought to court, and the third
> being the law of the country where the copyright or database rights
> governed by the license originate. "The ODbL authors should really
> fix this in the next version of the license."

So we've had some of this debate on this list, the advisory list (and
between Clark and myself directly) around _should_ there be a choice
of law clause, but I hadn't really seen that this could be interpreted
in multiple ways.  I always took it to mean the place where you
started a lawsuit. So if you went to Thailand to sue, you'd use Thai
law; if you tried to sue a Thai in Germany, you'd use German law, and
so on.  The courts themselves will have rules on whether or not they'd
hear your case anyway, so that there are limits on the ability of a
German to just pick Italy to sue a Thai (or indeed, whether they will
hear your case against a Thai in Germany).

Revisiting the issue is definitely in the cards though for the next
release, though in the process we should get more info on the exact
legal arguments around the multiple interpretations.

>>> Die Kritik an einzelnen Punkten schmälert den positiven
>>> Gesamteindruck allerdings nur unwesentlich. Die Lizenz ist
>>> innovativ und treibt die Diskussion über die rechtliche Gestaltung
>>> der Freigabe von Datenbanken ein gutes Stück voran.
>
> A conciliatory closing remark saying that all in all, this is just a
> minor critique and the license is innovative and good for discussion
> about database rights.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Thanks!