[odc-discuss] Fwd: [ODC-Discuss] machine-recognizable labelling

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Wed Feb 4 13:24:11 UTC 2009

My response below, which was unintentionally offlist.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan at opencontentlawyer.com>
> Date: 3 February 2009 14:36:20 GMT
> To: Rob Styles <rob.styles at dynamicorange.com>
> Subject: Re: [odc-discuss] [ODC-Discuss] machine-recognizable
> labelling

I'm assuming this is supposed to be offlist?

Response below:

On 3 Feb 2009, at 11:12, Rob Styles wrote:

> OK, in that context the idea of taking the license onto your own URI
> and hosting it makes sense to solve that problem, but leaves other
> issues potentially on the semweb side.

I may not be making myself clear as I think that:

-- for metadata / linked data /semweb stuff, I would think that there
would be no problem with using one set URI at the open data commons
site for the text

-- when taking a database and releasing it under the PDDL, I think
that this can be accomplished by a combo of click through to get the
text and marking the database by putting the licence as a record

Anyway, food for thought.

> I like the idea of a click-thru, and this could be combined with a
> mechanism for the dedicator to pick different norms that they are
> expecting people to adhere to - leading to the variety of CC style
> icons that people seem pretty keen on. That would also give a strong
> differentiator with CC0 without (I hope) confusing things.

I like this too, but it is important to make sure that people know
that the norms are not strict requirements, so attention has to be
paid to this element when creating the system.

> We're talking about this at Talis too, so maybe the time has come
> for these things to come together again.

That'd be great!

> Where are things up to with the ODC CopyLeft you were working for OSM?

To clarify, I'm not working on it *for OSM.  They sponsored some work
like Talis did and I've been volunteering my own time to complete the
ODbL (which Talis kindly started off). Whether they use the ODbL after
completion is up to them.

Thanks!

~Jordan