[odc-discuss] Allow more time: license is not for OSM data only

Niccolo Rigacci niccolo at rigacci.org
Thu Mar 5 06:58:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm following the license debate from its very beginning. Despite
the long time, now I feel a little pressed by the thight
schedule.

Please consider that a new license is a very important piece of
software, as the GPL license is the most important piece of code
that Stallman wrote.

The Italian Geographic Free and Open Source Software association
(GFOSS.it) is long looking for a suitable license for geodata.
We think that the main hurdle to freeing most of the geodata
owned by our public administration is the lack of a clear and
well accepted license.

Several time we thought that whould be nice to hire a lawyer and
let him to write a suitable license.

Consider that almost no feedback about the new license appeared
till now on the talk-it list, and no evidence at all on the gfoss
mailing list.

The importance of a license well suited to all geodata is far
beyond the debate of what percentage of OSM data we will lost in
the transition.

I suggest to revise the schedule, to allow a more wide debate. We
don't need a license for OSM data, we need a license for free
data.

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy