[odc-discuss] John Wilbanks comments on osm-legal-talk

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Mar 25 14:29:38 UTC 2009

Dear All,

I was forwarded an email which when to osm-legal-talk from John
Wilbanks (see below) which I wanted to respond to. BTW: I'm not on
osm-legal-talk so if someone who is on there wishes to forward this
response back there please do.

Regards,

Rufus

I should say these are my personal comments and I've greatest respect
for John. I know that he, and SC, are strongly committed to the public
domain only approach to data but this is not a view I agree with -- as
he knows well.

Just as we permit attribution and share-alike in "open" content and
code licenses I think it is reasonable to do so in "open" data
licenses. Of course, communities may wish to go down a particular
route -- in code. for example, Python stdlib code is always under a
very liberal MIT-type license while the linux kernel goes for GPL --
but I feel that is a choice for a community and not one that should be
taken a priori by a decision that PD is the "only way".

To respond on some of John's specific comments:

1. We want participation from all communities. At the same time I
don't understand why publishing license requires consulting with
everyone prior to release. The original GPL and CC licenses did not
have to wait to consult with every possible user community before
publishing them. Waiting to consult with everyone possible is a recipe
for never doing anything. (I'd also add: If the license is not suited
for some particular community they don't have to use it!)

2. More comment/discussion time. I think it is virtual certainty this
will occur. At the same time I'd point out that these licenses have
been out and circulating for over a year a half [1] and that it often
takes some kind of a deadline to get proper responses. I'd also point
out there will, undoubtedly be future updates as there have been with
CC licenses, the GPL etc.

[1]:<http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/2007/09/seeking_a_licence_for_open_dat.php>

3. Interested parties from other communities (such as John) should
probably post here rather than e.g. on OSM's lists as, I would
imagine, OSM lists want to stay focus on the relation of the license
to OSM. Similarly, John seems unhappy about the fact that the OSM
working group consists of people from OSM -- but why shouldn't it?
Other communities concerned with the ODbL should get involved with
Open Data Commons not with OSM (who would imagine have their own
concerns)!

We'd welcome representation from other interested communities on the
ODC lists -- and, as appropriate, on the ODC Advisory Council who are
the group ultimately responsible for the licenses.

4. Other communities interested in the ODbL. I'd start by pointing out
that the original work on the ODbL was done for Talis who mainly work
with library data (bibliographic records). That original draft, done
before the PDDL or CCZero, included SA and attribution provisions. 4
years ago (back in early 2005) I remember being involved in an early
attempt to draft a license for geodata which would have been promoted
to the Ordnance Survey (this was going to be an adaptation of CC by-sa
or, and non-openly, CC by-nc-sa). Since then I've encountered several
communities using CC by-sa or something similar for data. I'd also
mention that much of the time, at the moment, those providing data
don't think about the license at all (so the issue is moot).

5. I don't see the ODbL or any other open license as enclosing the
public domain (just as I don't see the CC licenses or the GPL as
enclosing the public domain). If material is in the PD it remains in
the PD -- no license can change that.