[odc-discuss] ODbL: Does publishing Produced Work from Derivative Database trigger Derivative Database ShareAlike?

Wed Mar 4 13:01:08 UTC 2009

Rufus Pollock wrote:

> BTW: All seem to agree that SA does *not* apply to non-public
> derivative DBs which are not associated with Produced Works. In my
> understanding:
>
> Current v0.9 of ODbL = Option 1 (approx)
> v0.8 of ODbL = Option 3
>
> I don't think it would be that difficult to either a) revert to v0.8
> (if that is what is wanted) b) have 2 distinct license versions
> incorporating the different approaches.

Yep. My understanding is that v0.8 is by far the favoured approach. We
can punt this out on legal-talk if you like but really, there's no-one
at all arguing for the v0.9 version.

> [...]
> 1. How often are people going to be doing what you suggest *without*
> publicly conveying the derivative database. (I understand the T-shirt
> example but is this really a big problem -- I am doubtful how many
> t-shirt producers are going to be producing derivative dbs -- they are
> going to buy in the db -- and even the producers of paper maps are
> likely to want to make the digital data available -- in which case the
> SA provision applies).

I think it'll be very common with paper maps and other renderings. If
I go down to Blackwells and buy a cycle map (something I do with
worrying frequency), I can't get the source data for it. Google don't
give you the raw data behind their tiles at any price.

Most of the (waterway) maps I create are paper-only; they would add
significant amounts of data to OSM if I were to use OSM as a base. (I
don't right now because of CC-BY-SA.)

> 2. What happens if I combine a ODbL licensed DB with another DB which
> lists, say temperature by location, and then make some produced work
> (for example I put a picture in my academic paper or even 'print it on
> a T-shirt). Under this interpretation I assume the combined
> 'derivative' DB will need to be SA licensed.

That's _probably_ going to be Collective AIUI, so not a problem. But,
yes, the boundaries of Derivative are always, always going to be a
headache and cause incompatibilities. That's why Science Commons like
the PD approach and I can understand that... but we wouldn't get it
agreed in OSM.

> [...]
> I would also invite OSM to propose an official representative to be on
> the ODC Advisory Council

Very good idea.

cheers
Richard