[odc-discuss] Open Database Licence

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 4 15:59:20 UTC 2009

This is interesting and odd to me, because my understanding was that
providing a share-alike license was pretty much unworkable for data --
not feasible to make a legally enforceable contract to these ends
accross jurisdictions. Which is what led to the PDDL/CC0/Science Data
Commons approach.

But apparently it is legally feasible in some cases?  Any background
material I should read explaining how ODbL manages to work at all?

I'm also not certain what the effective difference between the Factual
Information License and the PDDL is. "MIT style" generally means that
that the user is free to do pretty much whatever they want with it. So
the user might have the same rights with the PDDL or the FIL, but the
FIL doesn't actually put anything into the public domain?  I'll have to
read the FIL carefully; again, my understanding was that it was legally
very complicated/infeasible to do this with factual information
_without_ just putting it in the public domain.

Jonathan