[odc-discuss] Open Database Licence

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 4 19:48:46 UTC 2009

Some people definitely think it's unworkable, for legal reasons as well
as practical ones. The practical ones are a value judgement that can be
debated, it's a legitimate opinion that the gain is worth the effort.
But the legal reasons... if it's not predictably legally enforceable,
then even if your value judgement is you want a SA license, you might be
in trouble.

Here's the best distillation I've found of both the legal and
practical-value concerns:

http://sciencecommons.org/wp-content/uploads/freedom-to-research.pdf

Do again note that there are two themes there; the practical use value
argument is debatable based on standpoint. The legal argument is more
about what is, regardless of what you'd like.

But yeah, if you guys think a SA style license for (possibly factual)
data really is predictably legally enforceable the way you've written
it, then that's a useful service, and I understand why both a SA and and
an "all rights released" style license should be made available. I'll
have to look more at that license to see how you've managed to constrain
the legal uncertainties. But it makes sense to me that there's no need
for two "all rights released" style licenses, and I'm more comfortable
with the predictable legal enforceability of the PDDL.

Jonathan