[odc-discuss] ODbL: Does publishing Produced Work from Derivative Database trigger Derivative Database ShareAlike?

Wed Mar 4 20:03:44 UTC 2009

Matt Amos wrote:

> a slightly longer explanation would be: as i understand it (and i may
> be wrong) under v0.8 if i am using a Derived Database (minutely
> updated postgis) to create publicly-available Produced Works
> (up-to-date tiles) then i must either provide a machine-readable
> database dump or a "diff" between the original database and my
> Derivative Database. since a "diff" from a planet file or mysql schema
> dump to postgis doesn't make any sense this appears to compel me to
> provide an up-to-date database dump on request (which could be up to
> each minute). to me, this seems an impractical situation.

I think this is an issue with the formats that are admissible for a
diff, not with the Produced Work question.

My submission (and that of a few others) to the co-ment page is that
osm2pgsql, or indeed any other open source program on a widely used
platform, should be acceptable as a diff - i.e. "the program that
makes the [algorithmic] change". This solves the problem that
distributing a 5Gb PostGIS dump on demand is prohibitively expensive.

cheers
Richard