[odc-discuss] ODbL: Does publishing Produced Work from Derivative Database trigger Derivative Database ShareAlike?

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 4 22:10:23 UTC 2009

Hmm, what's impractical about providing an entire database dump on say a
nightly basis?  It seems to me you'd be complying with the spirit of the
license by providing nightly or even weekly dumps, rather than
this-exact-moment dumps.

It may be somewhat inconvenient, but it seems the easiest way to comply
with what the licensors would be intending, which is apparently
intentionally designed to force you to share info even  if it's not
convenient. :)

Now, if you had _other_ data in the db which you did not believe that
you needed to share (or worse yet, that you licensed from someone else
under conditions that did not ALLOW you to share it), that would become
_much_ more unworkable.  And I'd have no good solution then. I'm not
sure if the intent of this license is in fact to prevent people from
combining open street map data in a database which ALSO includes
commercial licensed non-open data?

But if you're willing to provide a complete dump of the db, I'm not
seeing what makes that impractical.

Jonathan