[odc-discuss] Allow more time: license is not for OSM data only

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Fri Mar 6 08:11:15 UTC 2009

Hi Niccolo,

On 5 Mar 2009, at 13:23, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> 2009/3/5 Niccolo Rigacci <niccolo at rigacci.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm following the license debate from its very beginning. Despite
>> the long time, now I feel a little pressed by the thight
>> schedule.
>
> Quite understandable. I think it will indeed be necessary to allow
> more time.

It's something we can discuss, but I want to cognizant that these
things already have a tendency to drag out and that we have to
recognize that more attention and more useful comments will actually
come back _after_ it is released than before.  So I'm of the opinion
that it is better to get a solid first draft out and then refine it
with later versions.

[snip]

>> Several time we thought that whould be nice to hire a lawyer and
>> let him to write a suitable license.

Related to several other points that Rufus made below about timing and
deadlines, I'd like to point out that there should still be plenty of
time to hire a lawyer to review this licence (which is less expensive
than drafting one) to provide feedback.

Also, though OSM has been a key use case and supporter, the ODbL was
never intended to be solely for their use and is drafted to be
applicable to contexts outside of geodata and even for other geodata
projects.

Thanks

~Jordan