[odc-discuss] Fwd: ITO World legal review of ODbL license 0.9

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Mon Mar 16 08:12:34 UTC 2009

Frederik,

Thanks for the email and thank you for your directness. Let me repay
the favor by also being direct.

I find the way you phrased this email (below) abrasive and
discouraging.  Perhaps it is a cross cultural divide or just a
personality thing. Or maybe that was your intent. I frankly don't care
as to _why_ it come across this way (even if the reason is
intentional), I just want to try to move past this to get to some of
the issues.

Just as a suggestion, the below would have been much more constructive
and positive to say:

"I'm unclear on the scope of your professional relationship to OSM and
I know others are, could you say more about this publicly?"

and

"I, Frederik Ramm, believe that the OSM community need X and Y for Z
reasons from ODbL or Jordan as part of this licensing process. Would
this be possible?"
[preferably followed with something like "How can I help?" or "I wish
I could help beyond flagging up this issue"]

I know that you've been doing quite a bit of work both on the
licensing issues more generally and with the German OSM community in
particular, and I want to thank you again for that.

I'll address some of the issues raised directly in what will end up as
a series of separate emails or posts or FAQ entries (as once I started
writing them I realised it would take several hours to write out all I
had to say).  As much as I'd like to drop everything and rush to
produce these, I am focussed on the comments for the draft licence
this week.

~Jordan