[odc-discuss] First Pass on ODbL Comments

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 22:20:46 UTC 2009

i'm afraid you will consider this to be too general, but here goes
anyway. in one of your responses, you say:

> Produced Works are taking the contents of the database (the data) and
> doing something with them. Derivative databases are taking the database
> as a whole and then doing something to it to create a derivative database.
> One is just the contents, the other is all the "stuff" (field names, tables,
> structure, etc) that makes it a database.

just to clarify my understanding: a database dump (say, for backup
purposes) is a produced work and isn't required to be odbl licensed?
further, section 4.7 means that re-loading the backup restores the
odbl license?

if the dump is operated on directly without being "arranged in a
systematic or methodical way" to produce a further derived work then
the only requirement of the odbl is the reverse-engineering clause of
section 4.7?

i'm not making a judgement of the license, i'm just trying to ensure
that i understand any obligations fully.

thanks for your forbearance,

matt