[odc-discuss] odc-discuss "Making Your Data Open: A Guide"

Andrea Wiggins akwiggins at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:33:29 UTC 2009

This looks like a nice start - I think the guide would benefit from
more specific how-to steps/examples under "So How Can I Make My Data
Open?" The text that is currently there provides arguments about why
to do it rather than examples of how to go about doing it, which would
probably be more helpful.

E.g., for #1 - What mechanisms can people use to make data publicly
available? This would be a good place to link to repositories that
host open data contributions, and information about setting up an API
or web service, for example. It might also be a good idea to mention
that people should evaluate the appropriateness of making a given data
set open (e.g. human subjects data, some types qualitative data) and
provide links to other venues for sharing restricted-access data. This
provides a useful support to anyone who wants to share their data but
for ethical or other reasons cannot make it an open data set.

Also, I think it's important to say that good metadata and data
documentation are crucial to making open data reusable, since it
shouldn't be assumed that readers will be familiar with data
preservation best practices. I would go so far as to say that if there
are no usable metadata or documentation, then the data are hardly open
at all; from my experience, a data set without metadata is practically
useless for reuse. Pointers to models or resources for how to document
a data set would be very helpful.

For #2 - It might be handy to add info about providing citation
information along with the license for those licenses which require
attribution. If you want attribution, then making attribution
information easily available is important.

Hope that helps -

Andrea