[odc-discuss] Choice of law clause

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Tue May 26 14:08:13 UTC 2009

There has been a technical discussion about the Choice of Law clause
(10.4) in the release candidate over on legal-talk.  This email is to
publicly address some of this conversation.

I am of the position that a specific jurisdiction should NOT be set
for the ODbL.  There are several unanswered  technical legal questions
about implementation of such a clause.  In addition, we'd need to
consider a serious review/redraft of the ODbL, causing delay and
sucking up bandwidth late in the game.  Also for reasons of fairness
-- I think it is unfair to try to make  all users (licensors and
licensees) from across the globe use one single jurisdiction that they
have no familiarity with nor affordable legal counsel to explain the
specifics its application (as it will by definition involve foreign
law for all jurisdictions save one).

(below is an edited copy of an email sent to the advisory group)
===
I realise that this email is a bit long, so four major points at the
start:

1.  There are several technical legal points around putting in a
choice of law clause, see below.  I don't see how we can progress
without answering these in some detail if the clause is to be
inserted. We can of course progress with the current clause without
needing to address these questions.

2. The ODbL was drafted as a worldwide public license to be widely
applicable but not overly specific to one jurisdiction. To set a
specific jurisdiction's law would mean, to me at least, a thorough
redraft/review of the ODbL to make it tightly fit to that specific
jurisdiction. Otherwise, what is the point of setting the jurisdiction?

3. The baseline for comparison is not other commercial contracts (b2b
or b2c), but rather other open licenses.  It is my understanding that
very few of the widely used open licenses (for software or content)
have a choice of law clause.  The ones that do tend to be specific to
an organisation (Mozilla's MPL, etc).

4. How "fair" is it to our users to set jurisdiction in one place?
Though OSM will be our first and a major user, I don't see how it
would be a good thing in terms of usability and fairness to try to
make the entire planet use one specific jurisdiction, through
essentially the use of browserwap/clickwrap.

====

Technical legal points:

===
Separate out the "contract part" of the ODbL for enforcement while
leaving the copyright and database rights parts to be on a nation-by-
nation protection.
---
There has been a suggestion that a choice of law clause in the ODbL
could only apply to the contract part of the copyright-database rights-
contract triumvirate.  It's not immediately obvious to me that this is
true with a standard "The choice of law is X" clause.  I'll admit that
my private international law / conflicts of law skills are a bit
rusty, so please chime in with your thoughts. This is in relation to
what law would apply, rather than whether a particular court can take
jurisdiction over a case.

===
If there was to be a jurisdiction selected to be the home of all three
parts of the ODbL (copyright, database rights, contract), what
jurisdiction would work best?
(a/k/a, even if we decided to have one, how would Open Data Commons
choose a jurisdiction?)
---
There has been the suggestion of "the US" and "the UK" as the two
choices.  The UK people on this list will well know that there isn't a
single jurisdiction, particularly in regards to contract rules, within
the United Kingdom.  My suggestion is that if there was to be UK
choice of law clause, it would be Scotland as they don't faff about
with consideration in their contracts.

On the US side, it isn't one jurisdiction either (51+ actually), and
we'd have to pick a specific state.  If it isn't Texas, then I'd just
be guessing as to which one would be the best to choose. Defaults
would seem to be either California or New York given other commercial
practice, but again, not clear to me of the benefits of using either.

===
Unfair contract terms implications with picking a choice of law.
---
If a choice of law clause was included, how would this interact with
consumer contract legislation (as public licenses are essentially
contracts of adhesion)?  Specifically for you European IT lawyers,
what about Rome Convention/ UK Unfair Contract terms rules?

===
How enforceable is it?
---
This is an extension of the previous section.  How enforceable would a
choice of law clause be in a public license setting, especially one
built around a worldwide userbase (both licensors and licensees)

===

In the end, I think that we stick with what we got and if there is to
be any jurisdiction setting, that it happens in a future license.

Thanks

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM