[odc-discuss] [OSM-legal-talk] ODbL, choice of law, and "porting" (and why ODC won't have a porting process)

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Tue May 26 15:59:19 UTC 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 9:35 AM, Jordan S Hatcher wrote:

> An occupational hazard of being a lawyer is to always try to hedge,
> even a little bit, even when the chance are really remote.  So I can't
> say that unequivocally Open Data Commons will never go through a
> porting process similar to the one by CC.  But given the cost in both
> time and money that undertaking such a project would mean, as well as
> an unclear set of benefits for doing so, I see the chances of Open
> Data Commons doing a similar process as very very remote.

Also look at the EU Public License.  It's a reciprocal license for
software (specifically mentions source code).  The most interesting
thing about it is that it was done on the EU Commission level, AND
they got the associated governments to all agree that infringements of
the license may be litigated under any lanauge version of the
license.  I don't know if the licenses were "ported" or
"translated" (following your use of those two terms), but the goal was
to have licenses which may be read and trusted to be legally accurate
no matter where you are in the EU.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson