[odc-discuss] Database and Contents Distinction

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Fri May 1 14:08:41 UTC 2009

I would reccommend that the FAQ include the kind of comparison beween
the PDDL and the ODbL that you included in your last message.  The
following text is extremely helpful, and I suggest should be in the FAQ,
perhaps defining "homogenous" and "hetereogenous" first in the FAQ on
"Why Do You Have Separate Licenses for the Database and its Contents?"

In general, I think the FAQ needs to address ALL the license options you
are helping to create, not just the ODbL,.

Although actually more comments after the quote...

**************

"To summarize:

1. For homogenous DB (No need to distinguish "Database" + "Contents")

Share-Alike: Use Open Database License (ODbL) + Database Contents
License (DbCL) (or some other suitable contents license of your
choosing)

Public domain: Use Public Domain Dedication and License (PDDL)

2. For non-homogenous DB (so he

Share-alike: use ODbL for Database qua Database + whatever license you
wish/can for Contents

Public domain: use PDDL for Database qua Database + whatever license"
you wish/can for Contents.

*************

When you say, in all cases "whatever license you wish/can for the
Contents" -- part of the confusion is that with certain kinds of
contents (like bibliographic records), it can be unclear what licenses
are appropriate for them, becuase it can be unclear what rights cover
them in what jurisidctions.

It's my understanding that both the PDDL (which can be applied to just
certain records, right?), and the DbCL are intended for just this case
-- doing what you want even with the uncertainty about what rights apply.

I suggest the FAQ should help us understand what licenses are
appropriate for Contents. In what cases you might choose the PDDL for
contents, in what cases you might choose the DbCL for contents, in what
cases you might choose a CC license for contents, etc.

Jonathan