[odc-discuss] Database Contents Licence (formerly the FIL)

Anders Söderbäck Anders.Soderback at kb.se
Sun May 3 22:05:01 UTC 2009

Thanks a lot!

I will follow up on this discussion later - lots of interesting questions going on. I have no experience of thinking about databases and ownership outside of a library context but the issue is extremely interesting and confusing for libraries, mainly because libraries during the last hundred years or more have built databases by copying information from other libraries or buying from various organizations, under various contracts, various jurisdictions, sometimes without contracts, sometimes under contracts signed so long ago noone is able to find them. And if you can find the contract it is usually about "records", a concept that to me seems more and more archaic.

And since most public and academic libraries (the exception of course being some national libraries selling records) have no economical interest in their databases, libraries just don't want to care about this issue. You just need an easy way to make everything open. Unfortunately you need to care. "Information wants to be free but is everywhere in chains" etc...

/ Anders