[odc-discuss] An attribution-only version of the open database license

Tue Nov 17 11:50:08 UTC 2009

Rufus Pollock wrote:

> Over the last few months I've regularly encountered interest in a
> data(base) license that requires attribution but nothing else.
>
> Would it be worth doing some work to produce an attribution-only
> version of the ODbL? What do people think?

Interesting idea. I can see it working in government data contexts,
and it would help to prevent people from unwittingly choosing an
unsuitable creative works licence (e.g. CC-BY).

It might also be useful as a 'marketing' tool. One of the criticisms
levelled at ODbL is that it isn't "modular" enough. It's not a
criticism I particularly agree with, but I've heard it several times.
For example,
http://highearthorbit.com/does-the-opendatabase-license-need-cc-style-modules/
.

cheers