[odc-discuss] An attribution-only version of the open database license

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Nov 18 11:07:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:
> and, of course, if someone really wants an NC license they could just
> hack it into the ODbL, or create their own. nothing is gained from not
> having a license variant, just because we don't agree with it.

While agree that we can't stop anyone making their own licenses, I
guess we probably don't want to encourage unnecessary license
proliferation - especially variants of Sharealike licenses - as this
may lead to interoperability problems.

This is an issue for Creative Commons licenses - as material under
some licenses can't be recombined with material under other licenses.
John Wilbanks of Science Commons recently showed a chart that
illustrates this nicely:

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwyg/4114021651/

--
Jonathan Gray