[odc-discuss] naming the new license - any ideas?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Apr 21 07:59:26 UTC 2010

On 20 April 2010 19:18, Jordan S Hatcher <jordan at opencontentlawyer.com> wrote:
[...]
> I don't pretend to be particularly inventive on license names [1] so this time we thought we'd solicit some input.
>
> I think I'm leaning towards:
>
> -- Attribution Database License - ADbL
>
> Other options being mooted are:
>
> -- ODC Attribution
>
> ...and moving to a CC style elements of something like ODC-BY

Could we have ODC-By on the list :)

The question for me here (and I think Steve raised this originally) is
keeping some consistency in naming. If we use ODC-{xx} here should we
not move to it for the other licenses? (Which is difficult given they
are already out there ...).

Also I have a (not very strong) preference for FSF style license
names, where the name is for the license itself without any FSF
"branding", rather than CC type naming where the CC "brand" is
prominent in the license name (with the risk that the "brand"
dominates the license).

Rufus