[odc-discuss] Draft of an Open Data Commons Attribution License

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jan 12 19:23:22 UTC 2010

2010/1/12 SteveC <steve at asklater.com>:
> Rufus
>
> Awesome this is happening, but the name is wrong. We don't need a OKFNODCAL, and even the ODbL can be shortened, we need something that they all share and then we also need a NC version. I suggest it's just something like OD for OpenDatabase in place of CC, so that you get OD-BY-SA as the current ODbL and OD-BY which would be your OKFNODCAL.

Steve: I think you're definitely right that we want to sort out some
common nomenclature. Your suggestions here seem sensible though we may
want ODC rather than OD as a prefix. I think we would also want to
think carefully about changing any existing naming (e.g. for the ODbL)
so as to avoid any confusion.

Comments and views here from others would be very welcome.

> You guys should position this as a suite of licenses that solve the licensing problems for data, immediately fragmenting the names and URL is the wrong way to go.
>
> Other than that, brilliant!

Thanks.

Rufus