[odc-discuss] Draft of an Open Data Commons Attribution License

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jan 12 19:28:30 UTC 2010

2010/1/12 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> Hi,
>
> SteveC wrote:
>>
>> then we also need a NC version.
>
> NC licenses are not compatible with OKFN's own definition of "Open
> Knowledge", Paragraph 8:

Frederik is quite right on this point. As per our previous discussion
on this exact point :) [1], I should say it is unlikely that Open Data
Commons would be producing an NC license.

I take the point that there are lots of datasets that e.g. business
might release as NC but NC has a lot of problems not least the
confusion over what "non-commercial" means (the point jonathon was
raising).

Rufus

[1]: http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/odc-discuss/2009-November/000199.html