[odc-discuss] Articles 5, 6 & 15 of the EU Database Directive

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Thu Jun 24 21:56:49 UTC 2010

Sorry it took me a little while to respond.  Broadly speaking, articles 6 and 8 are the exceptions to the rights (copyright and sui generis db rights, respectively) and  article 15 says you can't contract around those exceptions.  it's like saying you can't contract out of your right to fair use in normal copyright law (which in some cases/jurisdictions you _can_ contract around those restrictions).

so you can't have a license that would be effective (as in enforceable by a court) to restrict you from your right as a lawful user to extract and reutilise insubstantial parts of the contents (see article 8(1)). once you're a lawful user, insubstantial parts are "fair game".

the effect on the ODbL seems non-existent to me as the ODbL specifically maintains any exceptions (fair use, fair dealing, database right exceptions) in  section 6 of the ODbL.

HTH

Thanks!

~Jordan