[odc-discuss] Open Government Licence interoperable with ODC - Attribution

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Tue Oct 5 16:01:54 UTC 2010

On 2 Oct 2010, at 10:33, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Jordan S Hatcher wrote:
>> "These terms have been aligned to be interoperable with any Creative
> > Commons Attribution Licence, which covers copyright, and Open Data
> > Commons Attribution License, which covers database rights and
> > applicable copyrights."
>>
>> This is really great news!
>
> Definitely.
>
> "Any Creative Commons Attribution Licence" of course includes CC-BY-SA. I presume that, similarly, "any... Open Data Commons Attribution Licence" includes ODbL, described on http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/ as "Attribution Share-Alike for data/databases".

I'm not sure I follow the logic that the OGL's statement of "any CC Attribution License" would include CC-BY-SA?  This is a statement by the licensor (the Crown) in a specific license (the OGL) that they view it as interoperable with CC-BY.  I'm assuming the "any" reflects the fact that there are multiple versions of CC-BY (of what was once "generic" and now "unported") and multiple ports of CC-BY.

All six of the main CC licenses all have attribution as an licensing element.

Similarly, I'm not sure if their statement re the ODC Attribution License follows to the ODbL in the same manner.

This is all aside from the fact that users can take a view of whether and how to incorporate OGL data into other projects (by either (a) relicensing or (b) parallel licensing)

Thanks

~Jordan