[odc-discuss] Norwegian Open Data License

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Tue Apr 12 06:42:23 UTC 2011

Hi everyone

Some thoughts on this license at:

<http://www.jordanhatcher.com/2011/norwegian-open-data-license-draft-now-out/>>

This is "compatible" with ODC-BY, and in relevant part I have some questions about what that means in practice:

<SNIP>
• I’m wondering what the proposed compatibility with the “Open Government License” means in practice? This is a specific license written by the UK government and not a public license hosted by an institution such as Creative Commons or Open Data Commons for use by anyone that comes along. What if another government copies the whole template for their own license? Is that compatible? What if another country copies some, but not all, of the OGL for their own license? Will that come under this compatibility? Will Norway be monitoring the available licenses in order to update their compatibility list?

• It is great that they’ve made this license compatible with CC-BY and Open Data Commons Attribution. I do wonder though what that compatibility means (for these and the OGL) and if they could be more specific. If the intent is to allow users to relicense under either of these two licenses, then they should make the very clear (either here or in a FAQ) for users. This could of course be a translation error and in Norwegian it could come across as perfectly clear.
</SNIP>

Thanks

~Jordan

____