[odc-discuss] Changes to OS license

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 11 17:17:40 UTC 2011

I think you're probably right about the challenges this creates; but
ironically OpenStreetMap's OWN license, by using CC-BY-SA  contains an
attribution clause too, causing the exact same problems for
OpenStreetMap's own consumers! No? If I'm missing something about a
difference in nature of your attribution requirement from theirs that
makes yours less of a problem for consumers (which I very well may be),
please do clarify.

I would love it if you would take your experience as a consumer of
government data and the problems it creates when there's an attribution
requirement, and use it to guide your own license to avoid such problems
for your own consumers.  It's hard to ask an upstream producer to drop
an attribution restriction, when you are requiring attribution yourself
in your own license, if it's good enough for you, why not for them?
They're in a sense following your lead with the attribution license.

I think attribution licenses on data specifically are highly problematic
for just this sort of reason, and should be avoided, and have been
frustrated for a while about OpenStreetMap's attribution requirement.
Makes it really hard to mix data from such a licensor in with data from
other sources in an integrated database, which is generally what one
wants to do with data.

Jonathan