[odc-discuss] questions regarding ODC-BY

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Mon Jan 17 19:08:35 UTC 2011

Hi Ben,

On 17.01.2011, at 14:21, ben wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm involved in a project to build an API for a city in Germany.
> The city administration want to publish governmental data with an
> machine-readable (web-) interface. People can build applications on
> top of this data.

Sounds great. As just spoken on the phone I would like to underline that the Open Knowledge Foundation and specially the Germany Chapter would like to support the efforts of this city to open up its psi. Lets stay in touch on this.

> Here a my questions:
>
> 1) Is there a german translation for the ODC-BY?
> 2) I don't understand why on this site
> http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/by/summary/
> the attribution points to the ODbL? I thought they were two
> (completely) different licenses? Or is it a mistake?
> The sentence is "You must attribute any public use of the database, or
> works produced from the database, in the manner specified in the ODbL.

Regarding these questions I hope that someone else on this list can answer it better than me.

> "
> 3) Do you think the ODC-BY is (with the few informations you have) a
> good option for this project?

Of course it might depend a little bit on the scenario and the data they want to release. But generally spoken I think the ODC-BY is a quite good license to go with. Anyhow: What ever license they finally choose, the one important thing to look after is that the data is really fully open as compliant with the Open Knowledge Definition www.opendefinition.org/okd/

Kind regards
Daniel