[odc-discuss] CC SA 4 draft 1 And The ODbL

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sat Apr 7 17:09:47 UTC 2012

Following on from a discussion on osm legal-discuss...

Having read the current CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 draft (and IANAL), I think SA
4's proposed database right copyleft clashes with the ODbL's:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0_Drafts
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/c/cc/4point0_draft_1.txt

"Section 2 – License.

(a)  Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Public License,
Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive
license to:
[...]
(3)	where the Licensed Work is a database, in addition to the above,
extract and reuse contents of the Licensed Work,

[...]

Section 3 - License Conditions.  The rights granted in Section 2(a) of
this Public License are expressly made subject to and limited by the
following conditions:
[...]
(c) ShareAlike.  If you Share an Adaptation,

(1) You must release it under the terms of one of the following:

(i) this Public License,
[...]"

If I am right, please can someone talk to CC. If I'm wrong I'm very glad
but please can someone explain how. :-)

Thanks.

- Rob.