[odc-discuss] ODbL and Creative Commons

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:00:15 UTC 2012

For my understanding, current versions of CC-XX ALWAYS apply CC-BY
rights to any data licenced as such (at least the french version) and
V4.0 is supposed to fix this in order to extend the other CC
conditions properly to data.
Therefore, whenever you want to have Share-Alike rights on data, ODbL
is currently the only option, CC-BY-SA is not. That is why the ODbL
was translated in France for example.

There are already multiple initaitives around the world using CC for
data without even knowing this situation. But it's true that if CC
fixes this, there may not be any use anymore for ODC in general?

Benjamin from Regards Citoyens