[odc-discuss] Licensing of produced works from an ODbL database

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Nov 4 21:37:55 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> CC-BY (2.0, and 3.0 Unported) is a copyright license.  It doesn't affect
> database rights.  So if the Produced Work is subject only to database
> rights, and not copyright, then you can definitely license the Produced
> Work under CC-BY.

This was unclear.  I hope you understand what I am getting at.  In terms of
OSM, which I believe this question is directed at, I am saying that *if*
the OSM "data" is not subject to copyright, or *if* the copyrightable
portion of the OSM "data" does not carry through to the Produced Work, then
there is no issue with licensing the Produced Work under CC-BY.

I believe OSMF adopted ODbL on the premise that OSM is not copyrightable.