[odc-discuss] Not sure what license to use for user-contributed data.

Cillian contact at openeconomylog.org
Thu Nov 6 22:52:00 UTC 2014

Hi,
I'm looking for help with deciding which license to use for
*user-contributed data* on an application I'm developing.

Basically the application lets you log the things you use and where they
come from. The purpose of which is to build up a list of locally
produced goods and services. [1]

Ideally I'd like a license for the data that satisfies the following:

* Ensure the data stays open i.e. it can't be copied then enclosed.
* Use of the data requires attribution (As long as having to attribute
isn't going to cause lots of hassle for people).
* The license is interoperable with other open licenses.

I was looking at the Database Contents License (DbCL) but I am worried
that the attribution requirements may cause hassle for people to want to
re-use the data. If that is the case, should I consider using CC0?

I don't have much experience with data licenses so could anyone help out
with some advice please?

Thanks,
Cillian

Ps. I was also thinking of licensing the database *structure* too. Would
the Open Database License (ODbL) be appropriate?

[1] https://gitlab.com/open-economy-log/open-economy-log#readme