[odc-discuss] Open data and scientific journals

Luc Lajaunie lajaunie at unizar.es
Fri Dec 18 14:33:46 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I am the admin of the EELS database which is a open-data depository for
scientist ( https://eelsdb.eu ). Everyone is free to submit their data.
I put the database and the data under under the Odbl license and each
contributer on upload agree to release their data on this license.

I was then asked what happens if one wants to upload a data already
published with a scientific publisher.

Do you have an idea about this?

On some publisher website it is stated that "Authors transfer copyright
to the publisher as part of a journal publishing agreement, but have the
right to: Retain patent, trademark and other intellectual property
rights (including raw research data)." (see
https://www.elsevier.com/about/company-information/policies/copyright )

So it seems ok with this publisher but I cannot check for all existing
publisher. Do you think that is something general?

All the best,

Luc