[odc-discuss] (no subject)

Andrew Rens andrewrens at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 20:35:29 UTC 2015

Francis you are far from obtuse - my email was unintentionally misleading.

My apologies, I cut and paste from another email badly.

What I wanted to ask was this:

The legal text ofODC-By 1.0
http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/

reads:

"4.2 Notices. If You Publicly Convey this Database, any Derivative
Database, or the Database as part of a Collective Database, then You must:

a. Do so only under the terms of this License".

In other words users of By can only use By downstream. This is unlike CC By
in which users can use other licences downstream.

The legal text of the OBdL 1.0

http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/

reads

4.2 Notices. If You Publicly Convey this Database, any Derivative Database,
or the Database as part of a Collective Database, then You must:

 a. Do so only under the terms of this License or another license permitted
under Section 4.4;"

The text of both require the re-licensing under the originating licence.
ODbL gives some flexibility in 4.4 so is more flexible than By.

What am I missing?

thanks

Andrew

Andrew Rens