[odc-discuss] (no subject)

Andrew Rens andrewrens at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:55:24 UTC 2015

Francis is right. On a proper construction of the licence as a whole the
words "only under the terms of this License" mean no more than that the
Licensor grants the ODC-By database licence to every Licensee, there is no
sub-licensing.

In my opinion the phrasing is unfortunate because it can too readily be
misunderstood as requiring that Derivative Databases must be licensed under
ODC-By. An ill-advised court might read the licence in that way. In my
opinion this should be addressed, in the medium term in a new version of
the licence, and in the interim in the FAQ.

Thank you for working through this with me Francis.