[odc-discuss] ODC-BY-1.0 not listed in SPDX

Hendy Irawan hendy at hendyirawan.com
Tue Jun 28 18:20:16 UTC 2016

Dear ODC members,

I was about to use ODC-BY-1.0 for our open data collection in
https://github.com/soluvas/opendata,
but noticed that ODC-BY-1.0 is not listed in https://spdx.org/licenses/

For a license released in 2010 and recommended by
http://opendefinition.org/licenses/, this seems a peculiarity.

Also, I have never met an open data licensed as ODC-BY so far. CC-BY is the
most popular, and also sometimes ODbL.

ODC-BY seems to be very similar to CC-BY. So now I wonder, is CC-BY more
recommended over ODC-BY?
Is there a reason why CC-BY is still widely used despite existence of
ODC-BY?

I have a bit of concern that when I'm using ODC-BY, some people will ask
"what's that?" Compared to when they see CC-BY it's something they already
know.

Thank you.

Hendy Irawan