[ogdcamp] Academic track + introduction

David Robinson david.robinson at yale.edu
Tue Sep 13 19:17:12 UTC 2011

Hello all,

As Harlan said, we’re looking forward to helping put together an “academic
track” as part of the primary camp on 20 and 21 October. I’ll be handling
outreach for non-technical academics, a group that will include policy and
legal scholars who study, and participate in, open government data
initiatives in various ways. The academic track will be an opportunity for
scholars of all kinds to offer working or finalized research, white papers,
and policy proposals for open data.

As background: I am currently a student fellow of the Information Society
Project at Yale Law School; earlier I served as the first staff person at
Princeton’s Center for Information Technology Policy, where I helped to
build a research program on OGD and online citizen engagement.

Given the camp’s unique role as a global forum for open government data, we
believe it can -- and hope that it will -- be a natural meeting place for
all of those who study OGD issues or contribute their expertise to the
field. The program, like the camp and its subject, will be open and
flexible, reflecting participant interest.

If you have ideas about the program, work you might like to present, or
ideas for others to include, we look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

David

--

David Robinson
Knight Law and Media Scholar

JD Class of 2012
David.Robinson at Yale.edu
(202) 657-9892

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Harlan Yu <harlanyu at princeton.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just joined the steering committee, and I'll be be helping to coordinate
the academic track at the Camp, along with my colleague David Robinson.

> By way of introduction, I'm a Ph.D. student in computer science at
Princeton, and affiliated with the Center for Information Technology Policy
(CITP) here. My open government projects have included our paper Government
Data and the Invisible Hand, the RECAP project to liberate U.S. federal
court records, and the FedThread site for the U.S. Federal Register. More
recently, I've been looking into the mechanics of the legislative process in
the U.S. Congress, and how changes to the process could spur the development
of new useful transparency tools.

> David and I will be reaching out to academics soon to participate in this
track at the Camp. The track will likely consist of short talks and possibly
longer workshops. I'll be focusing on the technical side of the program,
while David will be focusing on the legal side. In the meantime, if you are
an academic, or have academics in mind who you think would like to
participate in the program, please get in touch with us!