[drn-cam-discuss] Next Cambridge Copynight: Thursday 7th September 2006, 7pm

peter murray-rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 2 07:17:38 UTC 2006

At 13:38 21/08/2006, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>peter murray-rust wrote:
>>At 12:59 21/08/2006, you wrote:
>>
>>>**** Cambridge Copynight: Thursday 7th September 2006, 7pm  ****
>>
>>I hope to be there.
>>P.

I will be - even though it is my wedding anniversary I have leave to escape...

Immediate things:
I have set up two blogs:

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/ which deals with a wide
range of topics including this forum.  I may blog some of Thursday's
meeting. I am particularly excited by placeopedia as it seems to
epitomise what we are doing. Blog topics will include XML in science,
virtual communities, open knowledge and why scientists need to know
how to program

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/cml/ is dedicated to Chemical Markup Language

I am talking at the American Chemical Society in 8 days time. This
will cover both technology and politics. Some of you may have seen
Peter Suber's Open Access post about the silly statement by the Royal
Soc Chemistry that Open Access publishing is "ethically
flawed".
(http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006_08_20_fosblogarchive.html
"Royal Society of Chemistry lashes out"). You can argue that OA is
stupid, cost ineffective, disruptive, etc. but NOT ethically flawed.
Oh dear. I shall probably blog this today

>Great. Thought you might also be interested to read the second post
>down on the http://blog.okfn.org/: "Dead knowledge: why being
>explicit about openness matters"
>
>Which was inspired by (and derives from) a lengthy conversation we
>had a while back.

Indeed. Thanks and your blog is linked. I am hoping to create a
chemical RSS feed from current journals to show at the ACS meeting.
In principle this announces to commercial secondary aggregators that
their days are limited.

P.

P.