[ok-cambridge] Hello

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 18 15:06:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Hassan Mamdani <hassantmcambs at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Sorry for pinging multiple lists, but I'm just saying hello and
> introducing myself, so it seemed better than repeating the same info in
> different place.

Well done.
This is how it works!

> I'm an organic chemist/biochemist by training and have worked in
> computational chemistry and drug design for the past 8 years.  I'm
> finishing my EngD applying drug design concepts to the development of
> materials for protein separation, so I have experience of QSAR methods,
> structure and ligand based drug design, machine learning, and data
> visualisation using R, Python and Pipeline Pilot.  I also have a smattering
> of SQL - MySQL, Oracle, sqlite, Sphynx - and I write LaTeX, Sweave, R
> Markdown/KintR.
>
> I'm interested in expanding my skills in data analysis and coding in R and
> Python and I'm looking for an excuse to make myself get to grips with
> Javascript and interactive data visualization.  I'm also interested in
> exploring text mining and big data techniques.

If you would like to be involved in text- and content-mining then I'd be
very excited. If you are in Cambridge we should meet up.

I'm currently developing ideas to treat the whole of published science
(especially text and diagrams) as a knowledge resource and any volunteers
are highly valued.

I'm in US at present but let's meet w/b 27?? Alternatively much work is
done by skype

P.

I'd be interested in getting involved in some of the OKFN projects, if my
> skills are applicable.
>
> Feel free to point me in the right direction or get in touch if you think
> I might be able to contribute to your work.
>
> Thanks
> Hassan

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics