[ok-scotland] Upcoming event: Glasgow Social Media & Academia (#socac) Event, Wed 21st Sept

Nicola Osborne nicola.osborne at ed.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 11:10:29 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I was wondering whether others here on the OK Scotland list knew about
Social Media Week which takes place in Glasgow next week (info here:
http://socialmediaweek.org/)?

I am running an event aimed at the academic sector - info below - but
there are a really broad range of events and talks, almost all of which
are free and open to all, that may also be of interest and almost all of
which are free to attend and open to all.

Here's the info on the event I'm co-organising and which is open to all,
free to attend, and should be excellent:

EDINA and Edinburgh Beltane, Beacon for Public Engagement are jointly
running an event, "Social Media & Academia Panel Session and Surgery"
(#socac) which is taking place on Wednesday 21st September 2011 at
University of Glasgow Library from 3.30 - 6pm.

The event will focus on the opportunities for using social media in
academia, particularly for public engagement where collaboration and
communicating research to wider audience can create greater social
impact for your work. It is free to attend but registration (via:
http://socialmediaweek.org/event/?event_id=470 ) is essential.

Our panellists are social media enthusiasts using new technologies to
engage their audiences in innovative ways:

- Dr Chris Speed, researcher in Digital Architecture, Human Geography
and Social Computing, Edinburgh College of Art

- Jen Ross, Associate Lecturer on the MSc in E-Learning programme and
part of the Digital Cultures and Education research group at the School
of Education, University of Edinburgh.

- Dr Peter Matthews, lecturer in the School of the Built Environment,
Heriot-Watt University

- William Nixon, Digital Library Development Manager at University of
Glasgow

After the panel session there will be an informal social media surgery -
an opportunity to ask more in depth questions, get specific advice or
play with social media with lots of experienced people on hand.

The website includes further information and the link to register for
the event:
http://socialmediaweek.org/event/?event_id=470

The event is free and open to all though it will be particularly useful
for academic and support staff, researchers, library and information
professionals, and post graduate students. If you have any questions or
problems registering please email: edina at ed.ac.uk. If you are unable to
attend in person please do join in the discussions online by keeping an
eye on the #socac hashtag or the event page where we will be linking to
live blogging and any images and audio of the event.

Hope to see you there!

Nicola Osborne

--
Nicola Osborne
Social Media Officer

EDINA website:
http://www.edina.ac.uk/

t: 0131 651 3873
e: nicola.osborne at ed.ac.uk

a: EDINA, The University of Edinburgh, Causewayside House, 158-162 Causewayside, Edinburgh EH9 1PR