[OKCon-Programme] Length of talks at OKCon

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue May 3 09:59:15 BST 2011

On 2 May 2011 17:49, Mr. Puneet Kishor <punkish at eidesis.org> wrote:
> On May 2, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Daniel Dietrich wrote:
>
>> Hi Rufus,
>>
>> I like to disagree. We can not have that short talks for all presentations, Lets have different formats!
>

> I just got back from giving a presentation that lasted 45 mins plus Q&A. I believe it went really well. I agree with Daniel that while at times it may become necessary to have 15-20 mins presentations, and for lighting-type formats 5 or even 3 mins presentations might be solicited, fewer longer presentations provide more opportunity for thoughtful generation of ideas and discussion.

I agree that longer e.g. 45m talks are nice but:

a) We can only have a relatively few number of these at something like
OKCon (so maybe we reserve for keynotes)
b) We would want the presenters to be good :-)

I've seen longer talks a lot (e.g. standard academic talks at seminars
are 1h) but that is to a somewhat different audience.

Rufus

> So, definitely vary the lengths as suited to the track, and optimize accordingly. Don't feel compelled to make all talks short.
>

>> We discussed this issue today at the programme committee meeting and came up with
>>
>> 3 to 5 min lightning talk
>>
>> 15 min short talk or demo
>>
>> keynote 15 to 30 min + 15 Q&A (30 - 45)
>>
>> main track presentation 30 min + 15 Q&A (45)
>>

>> Regards
>> Daniel
>>
>> On 02.05.2011, at 16:14, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> Just to clarify (as I was some discussion about talk lengths in a recent email):
>>>
>>> Usually talk lengths are 10-20m (even for keynotes). Of course in
>>> special circumstances or for particular speakers we can extend this
>>> but I'd be cautious about suggesting talks e.g. 1h talks.
>>>
>>> Rufus

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation